Please note: Our Water Sampler Payload is still in prototype. Pictures and videos of the water sampler are of the prototype model and do not reflect the final product. For more information, please contact us
The following details the basic operation of Rise Above One Litre Water Sampler.
The water sampler consists of two parts:
- The sampler unit, which is mounted on the drone.
This is designed for mounting on a DJI Matrice 600 series drone and is supplied from the drone's 18V power supply
- The sampler monitoring unit complete with a USB battery
This is designed for mounting on the drone operator's radio unit.
The basic operation of the sampler is as follows:
- Flush the sampler pipes with clean water
- Insert a clean flushed bottle into the sampler and strap it with the velcro strap
- Connect the bottle to sampler pipes
- Connect the sampler's power lead to drone's power supply. The sampler's power lead is connected to the drone 18V supply
- Drone is flown to a given location where there is water.
- Drone is lowered until the filter (hanging on the flexible piping dangling from the sampler) is immersed in the water. Once immersed, pumping automatically starts with indication and audible alarm at the drone operator's radio control unit.
- Once the bottle is full, the indication changes to indicate that the bottle is full with an audible alarm. Drone is raised until filter is out of the water. The indication and audible alarm at the Operator's console turns off.
- Drone is flown home and landed.
- Bottle is disconnected from the sampler piping
- Bottle has one litre of sample water.
- Repeat cycle for another sample.
It is to be noted that:
- The sampler operation is automatic and does not require operator intervention, except for immersing the filter into the water to initiate pumping and removing it from the water once bottle is filled.
- The Operator can view the water surface for manoeuvring using the drone's camera. The Operator can also monitor the water level in the bottle using the same camera.
- If the bottle is not full, the operator can raise the sampler filter from the water, move it to another location, and reimmerse the filter into the water to continue sampling. This provides composite sampling from same location.
- The Sampler can be designed, if required:
i. to fit other drones, provided the drone can handle the maximum weight of the sampler and a filled bottle.
ii. to carry a larger bottle, provided the drone can handle the maximum weight of the sampler and a filled bottle.